Sunday, August 26, 2012

Staying Alive: It's My Birthday and I'll Talk About Dying Poets If I Want To.

Well, it's happened. I've turned 26. I'm in that foggy part of the 20s where all of your peers say, "It's all downhill from here" and the people older than you look at you with that sort of sad, poignant look of, "It really is all downhill from there..." and then you start to fantasize about going the Chatterton route, who died at age 17 of arsenic poisoning. But, at least he did become one of the first teen heart throbs to reach Bieber Status.

Suicide from feeling unappreciated as an artist? Or accidental poisoning from venereal disease medication?
Either way, this was The Sex in the 1850s.
Ch-ch-ch-changes

So, in order to veer away from superficial suicide, I thought I'd talk about change instead.

It occurred to me that great moments of change are the railroad switches of life. If the change is smooth enough you don't even realize half the time how much your exterior environment has been altered. And sometimes, it can be a bumpy, bumpy ride.

For example, I tripped across this lovely little gem:


Now, you may not recognize these boys. Why would you? I mean, they look like any other generic 50s boy band, sweater-vests in all (and isn't it ironic that while they look so outdated here, if a boy or girl walked around dressed like this today, they'd be waaaay chic?). But, you know them very well.

You've heard them sing probably over a hundred times--every New Years Eve Party, every wedding you've been to, the night you went clubbing and ended up being accosted by an older man by the name of "Gecko" who solicited you for your "beautiful, crisp hair" at the muni stop.

...


This is them on their first TV appearance. But, since the early sixties you've heard these boys a million times. To this day they're one of the top tracks on any DJ's playlist.  I just heard a mashup of one of their biggest hits with Pink Floyd's "The Wall" while out at a Bachelorette's party at the "Booty Lounge" in San Francisco.

Considering they look more like Leave it to Bieber (Copyright Beryl) rather than any teen heart throbs you would know of, I'll let you in on a little secret.

These boys?


Are these boys:
Robin, Barry & Maurice Gibb, aka The Bee Gees


Hot.

-Beryl

p.s. Speaking of changes, there is a new addition to the parent's home.


His name is Don Diego. More on him next week, but I thought I'd leave you with this:


2 comments: