Sunday, October 31, 2010

Otter Time: Hammering Out a Halloween Costume With Limited Money and Time

No, this has nothing to do with math, The Science, or anything that attempts to disprove things with a control at hand and/or an experiment that will uncover some sort of data to compare and contrast to.

This is just an excuse to write the story of my Otter Costume.

Perfectly non-mathy and non-sciencey.  Except for marine biology.  But, that doesn't count as science, right?

Anyway, one day--er, rather, night, while I was hard at work on my computer...



I had remembered I had been asked around five times that day the Halloween question:


"So what are you going to be for halloween?"


"Don't know."


"Have you decided your costume yet?"


"What's a costume?"


"What are you going to dress up as?"


"A rhetorical question:  Do you really think I care?"


"Mommy, why does that girl look so freaky?  Is that her costume?"


"She's a freelance designer in this economy, sweetie.  You'd look scary, too."

That last one kind of hurt.

So, I thought and thought and thought.  And then I thought, "This is ridiculous.  Just put make-up on; that always scares your friends."  And then I thought, "No, reverse drag is not something I am comfortable with--besides the last time I walked into a party all girled up for a drag night, it became clear quite quickly that everyone else's idea of 'drag' was drawing a fake mustache on, meanwhile I was in stiletto heels and a black, sleeveless dress.  I did not want to repeat the same mistake again.

But, then days went by, I forgot, I ate some cheese, took the dog out for a walk, re-watched the 30 Rock episode where Isabella Rosilini attacks Tina Fey for the millionth time, and for a laugh decided to write my facebook status thus:

"Beryl Baker shall be an otter for Halloween."

I thought nothing of it.  It was a cute idea.  Absolutely ridiculous and absurd.

But then a plethora of people messaged me, replied, commented--I even got a facebook event invite for a possible show called, "Bring Back The Animals, BP Oil!"  But I don't think that was in reference to my status...

Anyway, turns out a lot of people love Otters.  A lot.  And, don't get me wrong; I do too.  In fact, I've grown up with the Monterey Bay Aquarium as a backyard of sorts, given my grandpa was one of the original peoples on the board to create it.  But, the pressure was suddenly on:  if I did not deliver an Otter costume that was adequate, then there would be a major Facebook Fail.



And I don't like being humiliated.  At least, not by others--I'll do it to myself, gladly, but no, not by you.  And that means you, Amy.

So, suffice to say a couple days ago I actually set myself to work.  I got some brown fur, I got some fake-kelp-grass-stuff and pulled out an old pair of brown slacks that never looked right and cut, cut, cut.

Here is the result:

video

And yes, I do generally tailer things to Carl Orff's O Fortuna from Carmina Burana.  I recommend it.  It makes things so exciting.

Happy Halloween!
-Beryl

Edited to add:
Animal Abuse comes in all shapes and sizes.

3 comments:

  1. would it be arrogant to assume the Amy you mentioned was me? ^____^

    beryl as an otter is AMAYZING. but queen/king woo takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at work so I can't play sound but that video is pretty damn entertaining already without sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy--Woo always takes the cake. And then eats it. And then I don't have cake.

    Chin--Oh man, the sound is what makes this EPIC. I stole a sound effect from an action film trailer, Iron Man 2, and then used the most epic-choral piece known to mankind. I hope you get to experience it. ;)

    ReplyDelete