Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Most Tedious Pattern: Top Ten

I figure if there is anywhere to begin in here, it's to tackle the simplest form of listing and repetition, The Top Ten.  So, to make this horrifyingly dull pattern approachable, I wanted to discuss someone I fascinating.  So, a Top Ten, if you will...


On Atticus Finch, The Man I Want To Be When I Grow Up.


Monarchy systems, as they go, haven't done so well for the past couple hundred years.  I feel as though they're due for a comeback.  However, who to choose?  Who should be our fearless leader?  No, not me. Someone with ideals, someone with a passion for truth--someone who looks good in Sepia tones.

The Top Ten Reasons Why Atticus Finch Should Rule the World:


1. He admits it when he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and thinks he's wrong half the time, just like everybody else.

2. He actually has pride and adoration for his part in humanity.

3. He’s also aware of the fact that that kind of pride (referenced in point No. 2) just isn’t enough for a lot of people in the world. 

4. He made loving one's culture, land, life and people an undeniably attractive and attainable idea.  And he comes from the South.


5. He was played by Gregory Peck in the motion picture version of To Kill A Mockingbird and therefore will always visually be Gregory Peck.  What citizens of the newly-reformed Atticus Finchland wouldn't want to look at that every time he hosts an election--Why there would be elections in a Monarchy system eludes me, but to be sure we would need to see him regularly to fill our Atticus Finch Is A Hottie quota--and stands before his loyal Finchlandians?

6. He nick-named his son "Jem" and his daughter "Scout."  The Code for Queer Politics Section: A., under The Gay Agenda, paragraph iv, line 473, clearly states that this is a beautiful example of non-gendered, if not outright gender-bending nomenclature. 



7. He's a Badass:  He wears a full three-piece suit,  even in the dead heat of an Alabaman Summer.

8. Badass [continued]:  He's an attorney with expert marksmanship.  

9. Badass [continued] (continued):  Atticus addresses his sister as "Sister."  Bad.  Ass.

10. He's a single father that reads to his kids every night--way more loyalty (and literacy) than any of the last few centuries' dictators can claim.


4 comments:

  1. 11. He's extremely well-dressed, down to his spectacles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that movie with my mom when I was 6 years old. Rape and racism? Always great topics of conversation for children. Thanks, Mom! And thanks, Beryl, for politely suggesting the reinstatement of the political system we killed ourselves to slough off 250 years ago. So British of you, so classy. So this is my closing statement: "In the name of God, do your duty. In the name of God, believe Beryl Baker."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the one that made me want to comment!

    I had just watched the movie for the first time when you posted this... and was remembering how much I LOVED that book. Oh... Atticus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Octavia--Word. I totally reread that book last Spring. Such a pretty romantic capture of the South in racial turmoil. Not sure if it was Harper Lee's intention for me to fall madly in-like with Atticus, but there you have it.

    ReplyDelete